General Program Eligibility and Application Requirements
All qualified applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible for occupancy in a MEND apartment:
- The tenant family’s annual income must not exceed applicable program income limits. MEND receives funding from a variety of government agencies and each of those agencies has its own guideline for income eligibility.
- Applicants must provide copies of social security cards and birth certificates for all family members.
- All adult applicants must sign an Authorization for Release of Information.
- The unit for which the family is applying must be intended to be the family’s sole residence.
- Apartment occupancy cannot exceed a maximum of 2 persons per bedroom.
- Applicants must agree to pay the rent required by the funding or subsidy program under which the apartments are rented.
- Only U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens who have eligible immigration status as determined by HUD may receive assistance under Section 8 programs. (Note: MEND has a very limited number of Section 8 subsidized apartments and the Waiting Lists for those apartments are currently closed.)
- All information submitted by an applicant is subject to verification by relevant third parties, e.g., employers, banks, current and past landlords, government agencies, etc.
- The various funding and subsidy programs may impose additional application requirements and occupancy restrictions.
To Determine Possible Eligibility
Applicants for MEND housing must first fill out the Pre-Application Form to determine possible eligibility for MEND housing.
*PLEASE NOTE – The Pre-Application is only an indicator of POSSIBLE ELIGIBILITY.
**DO NOT PRINT AND TURN IN THE PRE-APPLICATION**
If determined possibly eligible, a link to the downloadable application page will be provided. If determined to be possibly ineligible the applicant will be directed to contact the office of the location of their choice and speak with a MEND representative. Applicants must mail or hand deliver a written application together with other documentation relating to family composition, employment status, income and other relevant matters to the address on the application. Applicants must also submit to background checks on credit history, landlord-tenant history and criminal records.
Waiting Lists and Notification of Apartment Availability
MEND maintains waiting lists for all apartments and fills apartment vacancies on a first-come, first-served basis. Approximately 30 days prior to an apartment unit becoming available, the next person on the waiting list is notified by telephone and/or postcard. MEND staff will make an appointment for the applicant to visit the MEND office and inspect the available unit. If, after inspection, the applicant desires to rent the unit, MEND will collect a processing fee per adult applicant (the fee ranges from $0 to $40 per applicant depending on location) and MEND will obtain a credit report and a criminal background check. We will also investigate your landlord-tenant history. You can expect this part of the application process to be fully completed in about one week.
All applicants must be ready, willing and able to move when their name comes up on the waiting list. Applicants who are contacted by MEND about apartment availability may refuse the opportunity one-time only while still remaining on the waiting list. Upon a second refusal, the applicant’s name will be removed from the waiting list. All Section 8 applicants are not charged a processing fee.
Approval and Move-In
If you meet all of our criteria, we will approve your application and notify you that you have been approved for move-in. For the Moorestown/Delanco properties you will be required to pay a security deposit equal to one and one-half month’s rent by money order only. This deposit is due upon your notification of approval and will hold the apartment for you until your lease is signed and you move-in. Your first month’s rent will be due and payable on the day that you move-in.
PLEASE NOTE that each property location has their own move-in guidelines, requirements and fees therefore, you must contact the property for specific details.